[CentOS] Speaking of 3Ware/RAID/SATA/9550SX...

Joshua Baker-LePain jlb17 at duke.edu
Wed Jul 12 20:36:27 UTC 2006

On Wed, 12 Jul 2006 at 2:31pm, Seth Bardash wrote

> Using the 3ware 9550 or 9500 series controllers for any array larger
> than 2 TB requires that you set up the controller to use
> "Auto-Carving", set up and build the kernel to enable multiple LUNs,
> rebuild initrd, reboot, and fdisk / mkfs the unused areas.
>
> This forces the controller to "Auto-Carve" multiple 2 TB devices on
> different LUNS of the same SCSI ID.
> You also need to enable multiple LUN support in the kernel when you
> build a new kernel - which is required.

This is absolutely *not* required.  RHEL4 (and thus CentOS-4) explicitly
support devices and filesystems up to 8TiB.  As I mentioned before,
however, one must use gpt disklabels on any device larger than 2TiB.  And
this precludes one from booting from such a large device, as neither grub
nor lilo understand gpt disk labels.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering