[CentOS] Speaking of 3Ware/RAID/SATA/9550SX...

Seth Bardash seth at integratedsolutions.org
Wed Jul 12 21:02:34 UTC 2006

LUNs,
> > rebuild initrd, reboot, and fdisk / mkfs the unused areas.
> >
> > This forces the controller to "Auto-Carve" multiple 2 TB devices
on
> > different LUNS of the same SCSI ID.
> > You also need to enable multiple LUN support in the kernel when
you
> > build a new kernel - which is required.
>
> This is absolutely *not* required.  RHEL4 (and thus CentOS-4)
> explicitly
> support devices and filesystems up to 8TiB.  As I mentioned before,
> however, one must use gpt disklabels on any device larger
> than 2TiB.  And
> this precludes one from booting from such a large device, as
> neither grub
> nor lilo understand gpt disk labels.
>
> --
> Joshua Baker-LePain
> Department of Biomedical Engineering
> Duke University

Mr. Joshua Baker-LePain,

You are absolutely correct - BUT I answered under the assumption
that the original poster wants to boot from this large device and
the only way to do that is as I explained.

You wrote " And this precludes one from booting from such a
large device, as neither grub nor lilo understand gpt disk labels."

Exactly. So, if one wants to boot using the standard grub function
AND wants to install Centos with minimal changes, the sequence
I describe works without any additional controllers or disks.

Adding mirrored boot disks with an 8006-2 as mentioned by
someone else is another way to go to get around the 2 TB
BOOT limitation. I stress that this is a BOOT limitation.

Seth Bardash

Integrated Solutions and Systems
1510 Old North Gate Road
Colorado Springs, CO 80921

719-495-5866
719-495-5870 Fax
719-337-4779 Cell

http://www.integratedsolutions.org

Failure can not cope with knowledge and perseverance!