[CentOS] CentOS4.3: Upgrade Python for Zope&Plone

Steve Huff shuff at vecna.org
Mon Jul 17 13:07:23 UTC 2006

On Jul 17, 2006, at 8:55 AM, Ben wrote:

> I need to upgrade Python to at least 2.3.5, (but 2.4.3 would probably
> be better), to run Zope & Plone.
>
> Is it possible to replace the current version without breaking
> anything? or should I run two versions in parallel?
>
> What's the best way to go about doing this?

RHEL (and thus CentOS) depends heavily upon Python for lots of apps,
utilities etc.; as such, i'd recommend against altering the system
Python.  i haven't done what you are trying to do, but i did end up
installing another Python on a CentOS 3 machine in order to get
DenyHosts working (it needs at least Python 2.4) in /usr/local/python24.

on the other hand, the indefatigable Karanbir seems to have built
RPMS of Zope 2.8.0 and Plone 2.1.2; they're available from his
repository:

http://centos.karan.org/el4/extras/stable/i386/RPMS/index.html

will those work for you?

-steve

---
If this were played upon a stage now, I could condemn it as an
improbable fiction. - Fabian, Twelfth Night, III,v