[CentOS] CentOS4.3: Upgrade Python for Zope&Plone

Ben shadroth at gmail.com
Mon Jul 17 13:15:18 UTC 2006

On 7/17/06, Steve Huff <shuff at vecna.org> wrote:
> RHEL (and thus CentOS) depends heavily upon Python for lots of apps,
> utilities etc.; as such, i'd recommend against altering the system
> Python.

OK, I'll just go for a parallel installation then.

> i haven't done what you are trying to do, but i did end up
> installing another Python on a CentOS 3 machine in order to get
> DenyHosts working (it needs at least Python 2.4) in /usr/local/python24.

I'll give that a shot with 2.4.3 then, and see if I can get Zope
running on top of it.

> on the other hand, the indefatigable Karanbir seems to have built
> RPMS of Zope 2.8.0 and Plone 2.1.2; they're available from his
> repository:
>
> http://centos.karan.org/el4/extras/stable/i386/RPMS/index.html
>
> will those work for you?

I'll be maintaining my own Zope and Plone installations, and I want to
use the current versions.

Thanks for your response. I'll try to setup a parallel installation
and come back if I hit any bumps.

Ben
(please CC me in responses as I use digest)