[CentOS] Thunderbird Upgraded from 1.0.8 to 1.5.0.4 and MOZ_NO_REMOTE dead

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Tue Jul 18 23:00:53 UTC 2006

Sean O Sullivan wrote:

>>> On a package-based system, use packages, not source.
>>>
>>> http://dev.centos.org/centos/4.4beta/os/i386/CentOS/RPMS/thunderbird-1.5.0.2-0.1.EL4.centos4.i386.rpm
>>>

> Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>> I did the install:  rpm -Uhv
>> thunderbird-1.5.0.2-0.1.EL4.centos4.i386.rpm
>>
>> I downloaded the rpm as a user, but ran the rpm SUed.  Three problems:
>>
>> Does not fix my MOZ_NO_REMOTE problem.
> You might try :
> MOZ_NO_REMOTE=1
> export MOZ_NO_REMOTE
YES!  that seems to work.
> also, after quick google, are you meant to specify profile location,
> or profile name?
> Instead of
> -profile ~/data/acct1/Mail
>
> try,
> -P "Profile Name"
I believe either works.  I have always used the former.  And it worked
fine in XP with TB 1.5.
> No ICON associated in the window (running gnome).
> OK, you may have to logout & log back in again for GNOME to pickup on
> icons -- there may be a command to get GNOME to detect new
> icons/reread pixmaps dire - unsure.
No dice.  I had even did a shutdown, so I could boot up my XP drive to
grab a couple of files from that.

No pretty ICONs.

And I noticed that the Gnome Applications -> Internet -> Thunderbird
does not have an icon.  It pointed to mozilla-thunderbird that is gone
in 1.5
>> When I do an extensions check update, I get a whole bunch of language
>> extenstions listed that cannot be checked as:
>>
>> Update not supported (install location is read only).
> This is normal - to update language extensions (which is not stored in
> local user profile), you must run as root/su'd.
I hope I can ignore the language extensions...

>> Oh and this compose window and the extensions window also lack their
>> icons.
> As above - try logging in & out.
See above.

>> Is there a beta 4.4 list where I should point this out?
> centos-devel list I assume,
>
> Also, try not top-posting, makes it harder/more effort to reply.
Still getting TB to work the way Eudora did.  None of the quoting
options are as good as Eudora's was, and I am still stumbling along...