[CentOS] VMWare

Shawn K. O'Shea shawn at ll.mit.edu
Thu Jul 20 21:11:52 UTC 2006

VMWare Player cannot create VMs. It is used to run existing VMs (either
open source based VMs available for download from VMWare's Virtual
Appliances directory ( http://www.vmware.com/vmtn/appliances/directory/
) or created with another version of VMWare).

VMWare server does allow the creation of VMs. If I understand some of
the things I'm reading (and my use here at work of server and esx),
major differences between server and it's payware cousin VMWare
workstation are:
- Server runs as a Windows service/Linux daemon
- Server is client/server based. You use a console application to access
your VM. (something akin to VNC)
- Features Workstation has that Server does not: snapshotting of VMs,
full screen mode, shared folders

Here's some discussion from VMWare forums back in February:
http://www.vmware.com/community/message.jspa?messageID=347924

-Shawn