[CentOS] nullmailer recommendations

Gavin Carr gavin at openfusion.com.au
Sun Jul 23 10:48:45 UTC 2006

On Fri, Jul 21, 2006 at 07:27:16AM -0700, Mark Schoonover wrote:
> Gavin Carr wrote:
> > Just wondering what people tend to use for nullmailers on their
> > centos boxes (i.e. a minimal outgoing-only MTA)? I guess the obvious
> > solution is a minimal postfix config, but that seems reasonably
> > heavyweight and easy to misconfigure - is there anything lighter
>
> 	How complex are your emails?? I need to do the same thing, and can't
> get sendmail to email within my domain. I can send emails outside my
> company, but not to an internal SMTP server. I'm working on a small perl
> script that will do what I need - inject email into my internal SMTP server,
> with attachments. I need simple email notification when cronjobs finish...
> If you're interested, I can post this script to the list, hopefully later
> today.

Thanks Mark. An SMTP-sending script is, as you say, a reasonably
straightforward option. The only problem with it is that it doesn't
have a queue if your SMTP servers or network are having problems.
I'd quite like the extra security blanket of a mail queue as well.

For the record, I ended up going with Bruce Guenter's nullmailer
which I found via debian - it has an i386 RPM available here:

  http://www.untroubled.org/nullmailer/

It seems pretty nice - queue based, can talk to multiple upstream
mailhosts using smtp or qmqp, and installation/configuration was:

  yum install nullmailer    # from our local yam tree
  echo 'mail.example.com smtp' > /etc/nullmailer/remotes
  # Optional
  echo 'example.com' > /etc/nullmailer/defaultdomain

Negatives are that it requires daemontools or a workalike, as its
from the qmail world. But we were using daemontools anyway for
other stuff, so that wasn't a big issue here.

Cheers,
Gavin