[CentOS] cron.weekly

William L. Maltby BillsCentOS at triad.rr.com
Sun Jul 23 17:48:01 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-07-23 at 13:21 -0400, Sam Drinkard wrote:

> William L. Maltby wrote:
> > On Sun, 2006-07-23 at 09:47 -0400, Sam Drinkard wrote:
> >
> >> <snip>

> > B4 proj guys holler about reporting, I've been completing a more
> > standard b/u procedure using my el-cheapo LVM-based stuff and that took
> > priority once I saw the symptoms.
> >
> > My needs came first.
> >
> It's very possible I missed anything about the problem, as I don't read
> everything.. <snip>

I hope I didn't mislead. That was for Jim, John, K etc. Normally if I
hit a problem that I can't nail to my own foot (ouch!) I try and raise a
flag. But I initially felt like I might have started this series
problems of mine.

I seem to have backed out of them a bit (time will tell) by using my
root fs backup as a "comparator" and adding *unsuspected* later things
from the live system. Things stabilized at that point. Next cron-invoked
prelink and/or yum update will probably enlighten me more though.

BTW, am running off the "backup" root fs created with my latest "semi-
script" (semi=needs some coalescing and parameterization) and am about
ready to put it into cron.

I gotta say, it is really neat doing backups while the production work
(as if I really had any :-() kept on going. And cheap too! Commodity
100GB HDs about $40 after rebates. With some hdparm application for
spin-down and up, should be pretty damn reliable.

As I promised in another thread, I will both post details about this
(when ready) for other on-the-cheap users and try to test testdisk.

As stated in that post, slow going though.