[CentOS] Statistics on stability?

Chris Mauritz chrism at imntv.com
Mon Jul 24 14:02:58 UTC 2006

Jim Perrin wrote:
> On 7/24/06, Eduardo Grosclaude <eduardo.grosclaude at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>  I want to compare CentOS to Fedora and other distros on a
>> stability/network-dependance basis. Where should I look for some
>> published
>> statistics on updates? I mean probably megabytes per week (or whichever
>> units, of published updates over time), per distro.
>>  Thank you in advance
>
> http://www.linux-magazine.com/issue/65/CentOS_4.2.pdf
> http://www.redhat.com/rhel/migrate/whichlinux/  (CentOS is built from
> the freely available RHEL source rpms, so arguements for RHEL on this
> page also apply to CentOS, except for support and pricetag.)

I have a number of CentOS machines that have been up 24/7 in datacenter
environments for years and were only rebooted on occasion as a result of
security-related kernel upgrades (which would affect any linux distro).
I can't recall EVER having uptime or network-related issues on ANY live
CentOS server that wasn't the direct result of a hardware failure.  It
just works...and works...and works.  :)  The key is to beat up on any
new hardware in a test environment first to make sure that you don't
have any incompatible hardware bits (which hasn't bitten me often).

Cheers,