[CentOS] Statistics on stability?

Eduardo Grosclaude eduardo.grosclaude at gmail.com
Mon Jul 24 15:38:32 UTC 2006

On 7/24/06, Chris Mauritz <chrism at imntv.com> wrote:

> Jim Perrin wrote:
> > On 7/24/06, Eduardo Grosclaude <eduardo.grosclaude at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >>  I want to compare CentOS to Fedora and other distros on a
> >> stability/network-dependance basis. Where should I look for some
> >> published
> >> statistics on updates? I mean probably megabytes per week (or whichever
> >> units, of published updates over time), per distro.
> >>  Thank you in advance
> >
> > http://www.linux-magazine.com/issue/65/CentOS_4.2.pdf
> > http://www.redhat.com/rhel/migrate/whichlinux/  (CentOS is built from
> > the freely available RHEL source rpms, so arguements for RHEL on this
> > page also apply to CentOS, except for support and pricetag.)
>
> I have a number of CentOS machines that have been up 24/7 in datacenter
> environments for years and were only rebooted on occasion as a result of
> security-related kernel upgrades (which would affect any linux distro).
> I can't recall EVER having uptime or network-related issues on ANY live
> CentOS server that wasn't the direct result of a hardware failure.  It
> just works...and works...and works.  :)  The key is to beat up on any
> new hardware in a test environment first to make sure that you don't
> have any incompatible hardware bits (which hasn't bitten me often).
>
> Thank you for your point, on which I wholly agree, but I was taking
"stability" as "a measure of velocity in change" of a system's components--
here reflected in a shorter or longer life cycle for each version. Please
correct me if I am wrong, I may be misusing the word (I am heading right to
Wikipedia in a minute! :) ).
We all want CentOS as a server system because of its "stability" which -at
least for me- means few, controlled changes over an extended lifetime. As to
the network-dependance problem, I was thinking of the "gee, I will really
need a bandwidth here to cope with updates" feeling suggested, for instance,
by Fedora.

--
Eduardo Grosclaude
Universidad Nacional del Comahue