[CentOS] Statistics on stability?

Eduardo Grosclaude eduardo.grosclaude at gmail.com
Mon Jul 24 22:03:24 UTC 2006

On 7/24/06, Jim Perrin <jperrin at gmail.com> wrote:

> >  You surely want them, but I can't see why it's a bad concept-- "Distro
> > has published Y weekly MB of updates on average over the last year" is
> just
> > a fact.
>

> Distro X has had 650MB of updates over the course of the last 4 months.
> Distro Y has had 130MB of updates over the same period.
>
> Which one is more secure or stable?

Y is, per my former definition, more stable. As for security, stability has
nothing to do with it, nor I am at the moment interested in it, nor am I
pretending to derive any quality assessment from this very simple fact.
Seems that I have expressed myself very poorly.

The above hypothetical should illustrate why your method is flawed.
> It's not "bad" exactly, nor is it entirely wrong. It just doesn't
> figure everything into the equation.

It is not a method for anything, nor an equation, it is just a measurement.
I don't pretend those facts to be a useful measure to reasonably conclude
anything. Of course you still need to take into account several other
measurements to fit into any theory...

--
Eduardo Grosclaude
Universidad Nacional del Comahue