[CentOS] Statistics on stability?

Jim Perrin jperrin at gmail.com
Mon Jul 24 22:12:01 UTC 2006

>  Y is, per my former definition, more stable. As for security, stability has
> nothing to do with it, nor I am at the moment interested in it, nor am I
> pretending to derive any quality assessment from this very simple fact.
> Seems that I have expressed myself very poorly.

Okay. We'll go with this one then. RHEL and CentOS backport fixes to
keep applications at a current functional level. Most updates are bug
fixes that do not change functionality. This is not the case with
fedora.

CentOS and Fedora can both release an update to fix a bug in apache.
CentOS's fix will address just that vulnerability, changing
functionality no more than absolutely necessary. Fedora may fix the
same flaw by taking the opportunity to update to a new version of
apache, introducing several new features, or changing the behavior of
the application.

The updates for both systems will be nearly identical in size.

Now which one is more stable?

George Orwell