[CentOS] Re: Centos 4.4 ?

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Tue Jul 25 20:23:44 UTC 2006

Matt Hyclak spake the following on 7/25/2006 12:20 PM:
> On Tue, Jul 25, 2006 at 12:12:07PM -0700, BRUCE STANLEY enlightened us:
>> Ralph Angenendt <ra+centos at br-online.de> wrote: BRUCE STANLEY wrote:
>>>    Thanks for the Info.  I may wait and skip 4.3 then.
>> "Skip" in which way? And why? 4.4 is just "Release 4, Update 4", while
>> 4.3 is "Release 4, Update 3". You're not getting anything really new
>> with 4.4, upgrading via yum from 4.3 to 4.4 is just as easy as upgrading
>> to get security updates.
>>
>> IMNSHO there's no need for waiting - you'll get CentOS 4 now with 4.3
>> and you will be getting CentOS 4 then with 4.4.
>>
>> Ralph
>>
>> Hi Ralph!
>>
>> I don't do yum updates on my home system due to slow (56k)
>> Internet connect ability at this time.
>>
>> Thus,  I will do a full install (ater backing up) of the next release I
>> go to.  I am currently using 4.1.
>>
>> If 4.4 is going to come out in the next month or so, I'll just wait
>> for it to be rlease.
>>

> No need to do a full install, you can yum update from the DVD (I'm assuming
> you're going to get the ISO somewhere with a fast connection, bring it home,
> and go from there).
>
> Matt

You could download the dvd iso to a removable hard drive or something, and
connect that drive to your server and loop mount the dvd image.
Centos won't care if you have an actual DVD or an image.
I have seen USB hard drives in the 40 to 80 GB range at different places for
closeout prices lately. Everyone wants the larger sizes.
You can also find USB adapters that plug right into an old hard drive.

--

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and