[CentOS] Centos 4.4 ?

Ralph Angenendt ra+centos at br-online.de
Wed Jul 26 10:00:35 UTC 2006

Steve Bergman wrote:
> I've been thinking about you lately.  By that, I mean that I have been
> wondering about Linux users on modem connections.

True. "keep your system updated" is a problem, if you really have a slow
connection and no means to access a faster one for downloading updates.

> I've been noting the absolutely huge volume (in MB) of patches for Linux
> distros which always seem to assume a broadband connection.

Especially if stuff like openoffice.org gets an update (X will get
better with the modular build process, those packages are smaller).

> Suse, I believe, does binary deltas so you don't have to download the
> whole package to fix a one liner.

This topic comes up often enough on fedora-devel (and no conclusion
seems to be reached, ever -- if someone who follows -devel a bit closer
than I do, please step in and correct me) - and I don't see it done for
Fedora. So I also don't see it done for RHEL.

SuSE has another interesting feature called "patch rpms", which only
contain the patches to the package on the system. This also hasn't been
ported to the rpm RedHat uses (at least mine bails out with "unknown
option" if I try to use "-P").

So I wouldn't expect to see it any time soon in RHEL or CentOS. Which is
a problem for modem users, yes.

Ralph
--
Ralph Angenendt......ra at br-online.de | .."Text processing has made it possible
Bayerischer Rundfunk...80300 München | ....to right-justify any idea, even one