[CentOS] Centos 4.4 ?

BRUCE STANLEY bruce.stanley at prodigy.net
Tue Jul 25 19:49:30 UTC 2006

Steve Bergman <steve at rueb.com> wrote: BRUCE STANLEY wrote:

> I don't do yum updates on my home system due to slow (56k)
> Internet connect ability at this time.

Bruce,

I've been thinking about you lately.  By that, I mean that I have been
wondering about Linux users on modem connections.

I've been noting the absolutely huge volume (in MB) of patches for Linux
distros which always seem to assume a broadband connection.

It is admittedly a bit off topic for a CentOS list, since CentOS is
committed to fidelity to the updates provided upstream.

But I would be interested in your thoughts on the matter.  I figure
CentOS, Debian Stable, or Suse are the best bet, these days.

Suse, I believe, does binary deltas so you don't have to download the
whole package to fix a one liner.

-Steve Bergman
 Hi Steve!

I have not tried upgrading via a DVD because my system only
has a CD-ROM and a CD-RW drive.  I don't know if you can yum
from 4 or 5 CDs or not.

I may be changing this in the near future though by replacing the
CD-ROM  with a DVD-RW.  Then maybe I could try the yum DVD
methord in the future.

Being able to easily segment an update stream selectively in smaller
chunks could help in a 56k connect situation.

My experience with updates on Linux (maninly KDE), has had
mixed results.  KDE seems to always have problems when you
try to upgrade it .  One system I tried this on in the past
( I think it was Mandrake), I lost the whole desktop and could not
get it back.  A full re-install of Mandrake was in order.

Upgrades vs full-installs need to be refined a bit more I think.
This seems to be true with most operating systems.
Upgrading Windows 98 to XP for example can also be a nightmare.