[CentOS] Centos 4.4 ?

Hugh E Cruickshank hugh at forsoft.com
Thu Jul 27 17:08:03 UTC 2006

From: William L. Maltby Sent: July 27, 2006 04:11

> On Wed, 2006-07-26 at 15:35 -0700, Hugh E Cruickshank wrote:
> >
> > This is a definite yes. I just completed a new install where the
> > 4.3 install procedure kept bombing so I installed 4.2 and then it
> > updated in-place to 4.3.
>
> Just curious: you have a 586? IIRC (someone confirm?), RH switched to
> 686 default and 4.3 you had to select the 586 kernel to install on586
> and equivalent. If so, is that still the case?

Hi Bill:

I had not noticed that but I do not think that it was the source of
my install problem. IIRC (it was about 4-6 weeks ago so no guarantee)
the install "hung" during drive partitioning and/or filesystem prep.
I know it was consistent as I tried it 3 times with the same results.
At the time I thought it was a hardware problem but when I reverted
to installing from the 4.2 CDs there was no problem. At the time I
wrote it off to a possible bad CD.

Thanks for the heads up. I will keep that in mind the next time I
do an install.

Regards, Hugh

--
Hugh E Cruickshank, Forward Software, www.forward-software.com