[CentOS] Centos 4.4 ?

Mark Schoonover schoon at amgt.com
Thu Jul 27 17:47:22 UTC 2006

Hugh E Cruickshank wrote:
> From: William L. Maltby Sent: July 27, 2006 04:11
>>
>> On Wed, 2006-07-26 at 15:35 -0700, Hugh E Cruickshank wrote:
>>>
>>> This is a definite yes. I just completed a new install where the
>>> 4.3 install procedure kept bombing so I installed 4.2 and then it
>>> updated in-place to 4.3.
>>
>> Just curious: you have a 586? IIRC (someone confirm?), RH switched to
>> 686 default and 4.3 you had to select the 586 kernel to install on586
>> and equivalent. If so, is that still the case?
>>

> Hi Bill:
>
> I had not noticed that but I do not think that it was the source of
> my install problem. IIRC (it was about 4-6 weeks ago so no guarantee)
> the install "hung" during drive partitioning and/or filesystem prep.
> I know it was consistent as I tried it 3 times with the same results.
> At the time I thought it was a hardware problem but when I reverted
> to installing from the 4.2 CDs there was no problem. At the time I
> wrote it off to a possible bad CD.
>
> Thanks for the heads up. I will keep that in mind the next time I
> do an install.
>
> Regards, Hugh

I've had this problem with 4.3 hanging during a fresh install as well during
formatting. What I've done is to switch VCs into one of the text based terms
while the formatting is going on. Once it finishes, the install goes just
like normal. I'm using an AMD Opteron, and that almost always hangs during
formatting... I use the normal linux kernel, so not sure if the 586 option
would apply to my situation.

HTH

Mark