[CentOS] Re: Centos 4.4 ?

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Thu Jul 27 20:54:12 UTC 2006

Leonardo Vilela Pinheiro spake the following on 7/27/2006 12:36 PM:
> On 7/26/06, *Johnny Hughes*
> <mailing-lists at hughesjr.com
>

>     That is correct ...
>
>     Within the same major version (Centos-2, Centos-3, Centos-4) you will
>     always have the latest update set by just doing normal upgrades.
>

> Is an Intel video chip driver for CentOS 4 going to work if installed on
> CentOS 4.3 ?
>
> Every third party driver for CentOS 4 is going to work on the latest update?
Drivers are usually compiled to the kernel, but that is not hard.
Remember, CentOS is an Enterprise Distribution. It is meant for servers and
stable workstations. That type of equipment isn't usually the latest and
fastest hardware with ever-changing drivers. If you are using exotic or new
hardware for an enterprise class of equipment, CentOS might not be for you.
Maybe linux might not be for you, because most hardware gets Windows drivers
first -- that is where the cash comes from. Windows users are used to spending
$$$ for software.
 But that doesn't mean you can't use new hardware. I just bought some HP
servers that ran CentOS 4 right from the box.

--

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and