[CentOS] Re: Centos 4.4 ?

Leonardo Vilela Pinheiro leopinheiro at gmail.com
Fri Jul 28 02:29:20 UTC 2006

On 7/27/06, Scott Silva <ssilva at sgvwater.com> wrote:
<cut>

Scott, thank you. Let me refine my question.

As an Enterprise operating system, CentOS provides software seamless
compatibility (if this can be called compatibility) inside the same release
(as Centos-4, or Centos-3, or Centos-2). Correct me if I´m wrong.

I know that if Intel (or whatever) releases a driver for CentOS 4.1, one may
think that it must be a new driver, possibly unstable. But let´s suppose a
vendor gives me a driver which is new but completely stable (just suppose,
because this is just a conceptual question). Will this driver be compatible
with every (forward and/or backward) "sub-versions" of CentOS 4 ? Should it
work on Centos 4.0, 4.2 and 4.3 ? Maybe I´m just messing things. If Centos
4.x has the same kernel release, then every module should work on any Centos
4.x versions. Please make things more clear for me.

--
Vilela