[CentOS] imap flags on uw-imap

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sun Jul 30 18:06:20 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-07-30 at 10:35 -0700, Bart Schaefer wrote:
> On 7/30/06, Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com> wrote:
> > I haven't a clue where/how uw-imap stores these flags to even begin to
> > presume that I can successfully move them (though I suppose I can rsync
> > the /var/spool/mail and the users folders)...does anyone know where
> > these flags are stored?
>
> You can't rsync uw-imap folders to a cyrus install, because they use
> entirely different file formats.  Cyrus uses a one-message-per-file
> directory hierarchy similar to a usenet news tree, whereas UW by
> default uses flat files.  The ONLY thing you can do is imapsync them,
> unless cyrus provides some kind of import tool.
----
that I knew
----

> That said ... for writable flat-file folders, the flags are stored in
> each of the mail messages themselves, in X-Status and similar headers.
>  The UIDVALIDITY and other folder-level values are stored in the fake
> message with subject "DO NOT REMOVE ..." that is inserted at the top
> of each folder.
----
OK - then if I copy the files/folders over to another server running
uw-imapd, the flags are in the message headers of each email in each
mbox file so I don't need to copy anything other than the mail itself
and a similar version of uw-imap should be able to serve the status
flags via imapsync which is what I was worried about.

Thanks

Craig