[CentOS] imap flags on uw-imap

Bart Schaefer barton.schaefer at gmail.com
Sun Jul 30 17:35:14 UTC 2006

On 7/30/06, Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com> wrote:
> I haven't a clue where/how uw-imap stores these flags to even begin to
> presume that I can successfully move them (though I suppose I can rsync
> the /var/spool/mail and the users folders)...does anyone know where
> these flags are stored?

You can't rsync uw-imap folders to a cyrus install, because they use
entirely different file formats.  Cyrus uses a one-message-per-file
directory hierarchy similar to a usenet news tree, whereas UW by
default uses flat files.  The ONLY thing you can do is imapsync them,
unless cyrus provides some kind of import tool.

That said ... for writable flat-file folders, the flags are stored in
each of the mail messages themselves, in X-Status and similar headers.
 The UIDVALIDITY and other folder-level values are stored in the fake
message with subject "DO NOT REMOVE ..." that is inserted at the top
of each folder.