[CentOS] Checking out yum localinstall before installing

Thu Mar 2 00:08:43 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-03-01 at 18:38 -0500, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> I want to just see what will happen (ie success, or some dependencies
> still cannot be met) with:
>
> yum localinstall whatever.rpm
>
> I ASSuME (I have googled for this, but it is not clear) that
> localinstall will take the rpm, install it, and go to the yum repro
> to meet any outstanding dependencies.
>
> I just want to test this right now, not actually do it.  I want to
> know what yum would install from the repro as well.

localinstall:
Is used to install a set of local rpm files. If required the enabled
repositories will be used to resolve dependencies.

localupdate:
Is used to update the system by specifying local rpm files. Only the
specified rpm files of which an older version is already installed will
be installed, the remaining specified packages  will  be  ignored.   If
required the enabled repositories will be used to resolve dependencies.

SO ... yep, that is exactly how it works.