[CentOS] Checking out yum localinstall before installing

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Thu Mar 2 00:43:23 UTC 2006

At 07:08 PM 3/1/2006, Johnny Hughes wrote:
>On Wed, 2006-03-01 at 18:38 -0500, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> > I want to just see what will happen (ie success, or some dependencies
> > still cannot be met) with:
> >
> > yum localinstall whatever.rpm
> >
> > I ASSuME (I have googled for this, but it is not clear) that
> > localinstall will take the rpm, install it, and go to the yum repro
> > to meet any outstanding dependencies.
> >
> > I just want to test this right now, not actually do it.  I want to
> > know what yum would install from the repro as well.
> >

>localinstall:
>Is used to install a set of local rpm files. If required the enabled
>repositories will be used to resolve dependencies.
>
>localupdate:
>Is used to update the system by specifying local rpm files. Only the
>specified rpm files of which an older version is already installed will
>be installed, the remaining specified packages  will  be  ignored.   If
>required the enabled repositories will be used to resolve dependencies.
>
>SO ... yep, that is exactly how it works.

But I don't want it to do the actual install.  I just want it to go
through the motions and check to see that IF it actually were
installed and the repro in my yum.conf is used, that all dependencies
are satisfied, and to report what had to be added to meet any
currently unsatsified dependencies.

Why do I want to do this?

Curiosity?

Fear?

Doubt?

Gee.  I Scalix v 10 now comes with JRE and Tomcat to install (if you
want them for the features they add to Scalix).  But Scalix is set
for a RedHat install.  Perhaps there are java things that are in
RedHat (because it costs money?) that are not automagically in
Centos.  If so, then I would get unmet dependencies.

Also Scalix installs these within its installer, and somehow (I AM
going to ask them), that don't think they use yum, just expect all
dependencies to already be met.  So I COULD meet the dependencies
separately, then let Scalix install these tools.

Sound 'extreme'?  Hey, I am not proficient in this stuff, and
anything like this that increases my understanding with not too much
pain, should be at least tried....