[CentOS] Karanbir CentOS REPO - Breakability?

Phil Schaffner Philip.R.Schaffner at nasa.gov
Thu Mar 9 18:32:10 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-03-08 at 18:43 -0700, Craig White wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-03-08 at 17:23 -0800, Jim Smith wrote:
> > >
> > > ermmm ... it is a REBUILD of fedora extras ... what do you expect?
> > > Gentoo packges?
> > >

> > No I did not expect Gentoo packages, I expected Debian sid packages.
> >
> > On a serious note if i wanted broken packages, all i had to do was to
> > :-
> >
> > - install fedora rawhide
> > - enable ATRPMS

Or

- install CentOS4
- enable atrpms and rpmforge and/or kbs

> > What's the purpose of blindly following ALL fedora rebuilds? What
> > will happen when the FC5 rebuilds are churned out? Even more broken-ness?
> -----
> For the record, I think ATRPMS is a tremendous resource and your attempt
> a humor didn't need to take a back handed slap at someone who gives a
> tremendous amount of time and energy to providing a repository for
> bleeding edge sounds and graphics applications. Without ATRPMS, it would
> be incredibly difficult to built a mythtv system on Fedora or CentOS.

ATrpms is useful for things like MythTV; however Axel Thimm's packages
do not mix well with other repos like Karanbir's or RPMforge.  Have been
fighting breakages of yum, yumex, smartpm, and associated config files
on a couple of systems on which I have had mythtv or other multimedia
stuff working, and made the mistake of enabling atrpms and running "yum
update".  Had to manually downgrade some packages to get things working
at all and yum is still complaining that it can't find sqlite.

Things may well work if you use ATrpms repo alone on top of a "vanilla"
system, and I have managed to get things to work by picking selected
packages and dependencies for mythtv, transcode, etc. from ATrpms with
smart (against Axel's recommendation to use all or none of his
packages), but from repeated painful experiences, would recommend
against wholesale mixing with Dag's, Dries', or Karanbir's repos (which
generally do mix well together).

Phil