[CentOS] High-Availability Clustering and drbd?

Will McDonald wmcdonald at gmail.com
Fri Mar 10 11:43:09 UTC 2006

On 10/03/06, Benjamin Smith <lists at benjamindsmith.com> wrote:
> Does anyone here on this list have experience with HA clustering?
>
> I'm previewing drbd as a potential tool, and wanted to know if anyone here has
> experiemented with it at all... How stable is it? Does the additional
> likelyhood of failure given the additional complexity actually get
> compensated by a better overall system?
>
> http://www.drbd.org/

I've used DRBD and Heartbeat in various guises for various roles over
the last 5 or 6 years. Initially I was loathe to put it in production,
it just didn't seem polished enough.

Nowadays it's pretty decent though we don't use it for vast quantities of data.

We have some old-ish boxes running as LVS loadbalancers for a handful
of mail and webservers and these are pretty solid.

We run DRBD/Heartbeat clusters for a Qmail/VPOPMail NFS mailstore
which holds around 40GB of customer Maildirs. That's running the
packaged DRBD and Heartbeat RPMs from CentOS Extras and has been solid
since we switched back to NFS3 from NFS4.

We run a similar setup with small MySQL and Postgres databases and
that's pretty reliable too.

Will.