[CentOS] High-Availability Clustering and drbd?

Benjamin Smith lists at benjamindsmith.com
Fri Mar 17 07:52:44 UTC 2006

Ugh. What a week!

Anyway, my situation is that we have a production server in San Fransisco, and
a "hot" backup in my hometown (Chico, CA) .

What I'd like to do is mirror the production server to the local one, so that
if the SF server goes down, we have work saved to the last possible moment.
Say, within 10 minutes.... Is this feasible?

Thanks,

=Ben

On Friday 10 March 2006 03:43, Will McDonald wrote:
> On 10/03/06, Benjamin Smith <lists at benjamindsmith.com> wrote:
> > Does anyone here on this list have experience with HA clustering?
> >
> > I'm previewing drbd as a potential tool, and wanted to know if anyone here
has
> > experiemented with it at all... How stable is it? Does the additional
> > likelyhood of failure given the additional complexity actually get
> > compensated by a better overall system?
> >
> > http://www.drbd.org/
>
> I've used DRBD and Heartbeat in various guises for various roles over
> the last 5 or 6 years. Initially I was loathe to put it in production,
> it just didn't seem polished enough.
>
> Nowadays it's pretty decent though we don't use it for vast quantities of
data.

> We have some old-ish boxes running as LVS loadbalancers for a handful
> of mail and webservers and these are pretty solid.
>
> We run DRBD/Heartbeat clusters for a Qmail/VPOPMail NFS mailstore
> which holds around 40GB of customer Maildirs. That's running the
> packaged DRBD and Heartbeat RPMs from CentOS Extras and has been solid
> since we switched back to NFS3 from NFS4.
>
> We run a similar setup with small MySQL and Postgres databases and
> that's pretty reliable too.
>
> Will.
>
> --
> believed to be clean.