[CentOS] Printing from apps as a regular user...

lnthai2002 at aim.com lnthai2002 at aim.com
Tue Mar 14 20:01:21 UTC 2006

-----Original Message-----
From: Jose Alburquerque <jaalburquerque at cox.net>
To: centos at centos.org
Sent: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 12:57:53 -0500
Subject: [CentOS] Printing from apps as a regular user...

  Hi. I mostly use my system as a super-user and so I can mostly do
 everything without worrying too much about permissions. Not too long
  ago I created a "general" user account which is automatically logged
in
 after a few seconds for others to have (limited) access to the system.
 Mostly everything works (ie. CD/DVD writing, sound, floppy access,
 etc.) But when it comes to printing, only a specific "lpr" at the
 command prompt does the job. I've tried printing from mozilla, ggv and
 firefox without success. The funny thing is that an app such as gedit
 does print. (I'm guessing it's because gedit uses some sort of a2ps ->
 lpr combination). I have an Epson Stylus C82 connected via a USB cable
  and my system is running CUPS. Can anyone enlighten me? Thanks so
much.

-----
Most application use lpr to send print job to print server. lpr is not
a program actually, it is just a symlink to lpr.cups. Some application
does not use lpr but lp instead. For example, acroreader use lp on my
system by default. Since it can not find lp or lp.cups, acroread cant
print. To make it print, you have 2 options: create a symlink called lp
in /usr/bin pointing to /usr/bin/lpr.cups or tell the application to
use lpr instead of lp. Hope it help
Thai