[CentOS] Cannot start sm-client on CentOS

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Wed Mar 22 18:27:05 UTC 2006

Am Mi, den 22.03.2006 schrieb Kai Schaetzl um 18:17:

> Starting up sendmail I get:
>
> Starting sm-client: can not chdir(/var/spool/clientmqueue/): Permission
> denied
> Program mode requires special privileges, e.g., root or TrustedUser.
>
> I assume the user used for sm-client is smmsp. However, that user has
> /var/spool/mqueue as homedir and I added him to the trusted users list.

No! Please don't add user smmsp to the trusted users.

> FYI, that user has disabled login (which should be okay) and the group has
> a pre-encrypted password by default. On Suse the client queue runner is
> run by user mail:mail which also has login disabled but no password for
> the group.
>
> What do I need to change, so that sm-client runs okay on CentOS?
>
> Kai

Typical reason is you broke the permissions of the sendmail binary.
Check that it is

$ ls -al /usr/sbin/sendmail.sendmail
-rwxr-sr-x  1 root smmsp 732248 21. Feb 2005
/usr/sbin/sendmail.sendmail

(Security update pending - hope package gets soon through.)

Alexander

Serendipity 19:24:08 up 8 days, 21:11, load average: 0.18, 0.13, 0.10