[CentOS] Hanging @ Sendmail During Boot

Paul Schoonderwoerd paul at pollux-it.nl
Tue May 2 09:06:20 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 02 May 2006 10:45, Mark Sargent wrote:
> Paul Schoonderwoerd wrote:
> >On Tuesday 02 May 2006 10:08, Andy Green wrote:
> >> Do the affected boxes have a proper hostname?
> >>
> >>cat /etc/sysconfig/network
> >>
> >>I seem to recall seeing that gnome complaint under such circumstances...
> >>
> >>-Andy
> >
> >This sort of timeouts is usually due to nameresolution problems, either
> > it's own name or other names, and Sendmail relies heavily on it.
> >As I recall RedHat is known for not putting a proper entry for it's own
> > name in /etc/hosts, so check this. Also check the output of the
> > 'hostname' command.
> >Then check that the entries in /etc/resolv.conf point to the right
> >dns-servers, either your internal dns-server(s) or your isp's.
>
> Hi All,
>
> /etc/hosts
> # Do not remove the following line, or various programs
> # that require network functionality will fail.
> 127.0.0.1       localhost.localdomain   localhost
>
> /etc/resolv.conf
> ; generated by /sbin/dhclient-script
> search BigPond
> nameserver 10.0.0.138
>
> [ozboy at home-hehbbzsuy7 sysconfig]$ hostname
> home-hehbbzsuy7
>
> The /etc/resolv.conf settings are correct. Cheers.
>
> Mark Sargent.

Try putting an entry for home-hehbbzsuy7 with the ip-address in /etc/hosts.
Possibly also add the Fully Qualified Domain Name (fqdn) in there, something
like
192.168.1.5 home-hehbbzsuy7.snow.email.ne.jp home-hehbbzsuy7

Is the dns-server really reachable on/via 10.0.0.138 ? Try 'dig ns.nl.net' and
see if it resolves to 193.78.240.1. Check the last four lines of the output
of this command for te query-time and the server which was queried.
--
Paul Schoonderwoerd
Pollux IT - Open Source & Netwerkbeveiliging