[CentOS] Hanging @ Sendmail During Boot

Mark Sargent powderkeg at snow.email.ne.jp
Tue May 2 10:29:08 UTC 2006

Paul Schoonderwoerd wrote:

>Try putting an entry for home-hehbbzsuy7 with the ip-address in /etc/hosts.
>Possibly also add the Fully Qualified Domain Name (fqdn) in there, something
>like
>192.168.1.5 home-hehbbzsuy7.snow.email.ne.jp home-hehbbzsuy7

This is a local machine and there is no actual registered domain name,
only localhost.localdomain. I also should add, that I was not trying to
get sendmail to run at all, as I'm not using it. With the IP being
dynamic, how would adding a static IP entry in /etc/hosts help?

>Is the dns-server really reachable on/via 10.0.0.138 ?

yes, as it is the DSL router which acts as both Gateway and DHCP server
as well as DNS

> Try 'dig ns.nl.net' and
>see if it resolves to 193.78.240.1. Check the last four lines of the output
>of this command for te query-time and the server which was queried.

[ozboy at mumpc ~]$ dig ns.nl.net

; <<>> DiG 9.2.4 <<>> ns.nl.net
;; global options:  printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;ns.nl.net.                     IN      A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
ns.nl.net.              32324   IN      A       193.78.240.1

;; Query time: 29 msec
;; SERVER: 10.0.0.138#53(10.0.0.138)
;; WHEN: Tue May  2 20:15:13 2006
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 43

hostname "name" changed the hostname,

[root at home-hehbbzsuy7 ~]# hostname mumpc
[root at home-hehbbzsuy7 ~]# hostname
mumpc

 but it returned to original,

[ozboy at home-hehbbzsuy7 ~]$ hostname
home-hehbbzsuy7

 upon reboot. How is this changed permanently? Cheers.

Mark Sargent