[CentOS] kernel panic - spin_lock

Will McDonald

wmcdonald at gmail.com
Tue May 2 09:20:43 UTC 2006

> > > There are lots of spinlock issues fixed with a kernel that is in our
> > > testing repo ...
> >
> > I may give that a pop if the problem becomes more frequent but so far
> > I think I've seen spin_lock panics twice in 6 months, so I may bide my
> > time.
> >
> > Cheers.
> >
> > Will.
>
> :)
>
> Just for the record, I am running the testing kernel on my main
> workstation (an smp i686 machine) and it has been working fine for me
> since built on 20 April.

Bit of an update, that system died again with the same error. I've
installed the testing kernel but now the box doesn't boot. It gets as
far as:

Mounted /proc
Mounting sysfs
Creating /dev
Starting udev
SCSI subsystem initialized
ACPI: PCI interrupt 000:00:0a:0[A]: no GSI - using IRQ 11
scsi0: Adaptec AIC7XXX EISA/VLB/PCI SCSI HBA DRIVER, Rev 6.2.36
  <Adaptec 29160 B Ultra160 SCSI adapter>
  aic 7892: Ultra160 Wide Channel A, SCSI Id=7, 32/253 SCBs.

Then just hangs there. CTRL-ALT-DEL does properly reset the system,
stopping md devices (not that there are any).

I tried booting with pci=noapic to see if that helped, same thing.
I've booted back into the old kernel for now. I'll have If it's if any
use this system is an IBM eServer 300.

Having a root around through the init nash script out of the initrd...

echo Starting udev
/sbin/udevstart
echo -n "/sbin/hotplug" > /proc/sys/kernel/hotplug
echo "Loading scsi_mod.ko module"
insmod /lib/scsi_mod.ko
echo "Loading sd_mod.ko module"
insmod /lib/sd_mod.ko
echo "Loading aic7xxx.ko module"
insmod /lib/aic7xxx.ko
echo "Loading dm-mod.ko module"
insmod /lib/dm-mod.ko

I guess init's not completing "Loading aic7xxx.ko module".

Will.