[CentOS] Serverworks HT1000 chipset drivers (Supermicro H8SSL motherboard)

Chris Mauritz chrism at imntv.com
Fri May 12 18:08:43 UTC 2006

Chris Mauritz wrote:
>> Anyone using boards with this chipset?  I've gotten some dual core
>> single cpu boxes along with the physical dual cpu boxes I just
>> received and they're using the Serverworks HT1000 (Broadcom 5785)
>> chipset.  My CentOS 4.2 DVD doesn't want to recognize the chipset so
>> I can't see any of the SATA drives in the integrated SATA ports.
>> Drives on 3Ware cards work as expected, but I was hoping to also make
>> use of the integrated SATA ports.  I'm downloading 4.3 via bitorrent
>> now, but I suspect that isn't going to solve the problem without some
>> command line magic.
>> Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
>
> OK, I've gotten the x86_64 CentOS 4.3 DVD downloaded now so I'll have
> another go at it.  I managed to find a "driver disk" from Supermicro's
> ftp server for RHEL4 so I'm hoping that will fix the problem.
> According to a few posts I found in various forums, the driver I'm
> after seems to be "sata_svw".  Hopefully, that does it.  Otherwise, I
> guess it's time so scrounge up some extra 3ware cards instead.  :-)

That seems to work (sorta).  I had to configure the SATA controller to
use MMIO instead of the default IDE setting.  Then when I get the linux
prompt when booting from the DVD I type "linux dd".  When it later asks
me if I have a driver disk, I say "no" and all appears to work
normally.  However, the machines crash/hang when the partitions are
being formatted.  Since this is just for burn in and testing, I use the
default partitions that are suggested and it formats root just fine and
then hangs about 90% of the way through /boot....every time on more than
one machine.  :-(

Any suggestions?