[CentOS] Serverworks HT1000 chipset drivers (Supermicro H8SSL motherboard)

Paul Heinlein heinlein at madboa.com
Fri May 12 18:37:48 UTC 2006

On Fri, 12 May 2006, Chris Mauritz wrote:

> That seems to work (sorta).  I had to configure the SATA controller
> to use MMIO instead of the default IDE setting.  Then when I get the
> linux prompt when booting from the DVD I type "linux dd".  When it
> later asks me if I have a driver disk, I say "no" and all appears to
> work normally.  However, the machines crash/hang when the partitions
> are being formatted.  Since this is just for burn in and testing, I
> use the default partitions that are suggested and it formats root
> just fine and then hangs about 90% of the way through /boot....every
> time on more than one machine.  :-(
>
> Any suggestions?

I had one machine (I forget the make/model) that would consistently
crash during installation.

My workaround was to do a minimal installation to get the machine up
and running. Then after the reboot, I used "yum groupinstall" to
finish things.

I don't know what the bug was, but some combination of network
(fetching packages), CPU (decompressing packages), and disk (writing
packages) stressed things in unacceptable ways.

Once the machine was up, it worked flawlessly, even under stress.

ymmv.

--
Paul Heinlein <> heinlein at madboa.com <> www.madboa.com