[CentOS] Centos and Dual Core Opteron in a Tyan Mobo

C.. Scott Heisler Scott.Heisler at huntleighusa.com
Sat May 13 06:18:22 UTC 2006

I'm not sure how many users you plan on serving with that Asterisk box... that does seem like a bit of overkill though.  I've read where a couple of hundred users are served quite well with a 1ghz CPU and a gig of RAM (single CPU).

CentOS has a 64bit edition for the AMD CPU.  Dual-Core does not require anything special from the OS, no more that Hyperthreading did.  The OS just sees 2 CPUs per DIE.  So, the OS will see 4 CPUs.  The only issue you will need to deal with is the 64-bit compatibilities.  I've played with the 64-bit versions and you may run into some compatibility issues for software not specifically compiled for 64-bit and have to re-compile rather than use the binaries or straight RPMs.

Scott