[CentOS] mysql : Access denied for user

Sat May 20 11:33:10 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-05-19 at 23:23 -0400, kenkensmile at netscape.net wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am having a problem with mysql. I set up root password
>
> set password for root at localhost=password('xxxxxxxxx');
> set password for root@'xxx.yyyy.com'=password('yyyyyyyy');
>
> after that I tried to log in, but mysql says
>
> ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using
> password: YES)
> I guess that I had the right password.
>
> My friend told me that I might have used a wrong password, so I set up
> new password for root.
> However, mysql says the exactly same thing!!
> ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using
> password: YES)
>
> I was not sure about the error, so I decided to remove mysql and
> deleted /var/lib/mysql.
> After that I reinstalled mysql and set up mysql again.
> However, mysql again says
> ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using
> password: YES)
> I am 100000% sure that I am using the right passward for root
>
> I am quite puzzled by the error and need your help.
> Does anyone know how I can fix this problem?
> I am using CentOS4.3. Thank you for your help.

OK ... another thing that I see frequently when dealing with this issue
is the location of localhost in your /etc/hosts file ... don't ask me
why, but it sometimes matters.  Put the localhost name first in the
line, like this:

127.0.0.1 localhost xxxxx yyyy.yyy

(where xxxxx and yyyy.yyy are the other names currently on the loopback
line)

_OR_

use the first name in the /etc/hosts in the 127.0.0.1 line as the @
machine name.

The first field after the IP address is name .. the others are aliases.
MySQL seems to have issues with aliases sometimes.

At least, that is my observation ...