[CentOS] Bandwidth shaper suggestion

Dan Pritts danno at internet2.edu
Thu May 25 15:47:12 UTC 2006

On Sat, May 20, 2006 at 07:21:55AM +0800, Matt Arnilo S. Baluyos (Mailing Lists) wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I'm looking for a bandwidth shaper that can limit downloads from
> certain IPs on a LAN.
>
> Any suggestions? I'm thinking of something that's easy to set up and
> configure. Even better if there's already a package that's on the
> CentOS repositories (or if not, maybe an RPM).

It's non-trivial to set this up on linux but it can be done with the
kernel QoS support.  Look at www.lartc.org.

actually, i just saw this and it looks interesting:

http://www.mastershaper.org/tiki-index.php

Please report back to the list with a summary on this if you get
it working.

As an alternative, you can use FreeBSD and its DUMMYNET driver,
which does this stuff in a more simple-to-understand fashion.

warning:  the linux 2.4 kernel simple traffic shaper was abandonware,
and did not work for me despite lots of effort.

caveat:  I last did any significant research into this stuff about 5
years ago and while i've generally tried to keep up to date there may
be new tools i'm not aware of.

danno
--
dan pritts - systems administrator - internet2
734/352-4953 office        734/834-7224 mobile