[CentOS] Re: Rebuilding Raid 1

Les Mikesell

lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue May 2 05:23:44 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-05-02 at 00:49, Mace Eliason wrote:

> I have a replacement drive that I want to sync after this is finished to
> remove the drive that had the problem to begin with.  In this case sda
>
> I would assume that I would create the raid partitions on the new drive
> and then sync again something similar to what I have just done.

Yes, just create partitions with matching sizes and type FD.
However you'll still have to deal with making it boot from
your 2nd drive which I don't think you quite managed before.
My best guess is that the bios on your scsi card is only
configured to boot the device with drive select 0.

Another approach is to clone the whole sda drive:
Remove sdb and replace with the drive that will become
sda.  Set drive select appropriately if the drives
have jumpers (this is easier with hot-swap SCA types
where the drive position takes care of the select
automatically).
Boot in rescue mode, skipping network and mounting the
old system.  From the command prompt:
dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb bs=1M
Go do something else for an hour or more...
This will do a complete copy of the whole disk including
the boot loader and partition layout.  When it is finished
swap the 2nd drive into the first position and reinstall
your original 2nd drive.  Everything should be the same
software-wise.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell at gmail.com