[CentOS] About download ISO image, again

Thu Nov 16 09:35:52 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-11-15 at 16:03 -0800, Mark Schoonover wrote:
<snip>

> I just did a server install, actually a 2.4TB NAS using the first CentOS
> disk, but choosing a minimal install option. What's the difference between
> that option and the server CD??

The only difference is the items that are available for install.  Using
only CD-1, you get a certain subset of programs available for install in
the minimal install.

Using the ServerCD, you can select more programs to install off that CD
than are in a minimal install, and all the programs you can select are
on the ServerCD.  If you only need programs off the ServerCD it helps to
minimize the download after install.  (You can even do a minimal install
from the ServerCD too, if you want)

Once installed, each of these become just a normal CentOS install with
different packages. You can use yum/up2date to add other programs to
either type of install.  It is merely a difference in packages that you
can install from a given single CD.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes