[CentOS] Centos-4.3: Filelocking problems under high [network related] load with kernel 2.6.9-42.0.3.ELsmp

Martin Knoblauch spamtrap at knobisoft.de
Mon Nov 27 23:42:47 UTC 2006

--- Kevan Benson <kbenson at a-1networks.com> wrote:

> On Monday 27 November 2006 10:54, Martin Knoblauch wrote:
> >  first of all, please CC me on any reply, as I am only subscribed
> > the digest.
> >
> > OK. Here is the problem. Said kernel (from 4.4) seems to have
> problems
> > with file-locking when the system is under high, likely network
> > related,
> > load. The symptoms are things using file locking (rpm, the
> user-space
> > automounter amd) fail to obtain locks, usually stating timeout
> > problems.
> >
> > The sytem in question is a HP/DL380G4 with dual-single-core EM64T
> CPUs
> > and 8GB of Memory. The network interfaces are "tg3". It happens
> with
> > both CentOs and RHEL4.
> >
> > The high load can be triggered by copying three 3 GB files in
> parallel
> > from an NFS server (Solaris10, NFS, TCP, 1GBit) to another NFS
> server
> > (RHEL4, NFS, TCP, 100 MBit). The measured network performance is
> OK.
> > During this operation the systems goes to Loads around/above 10.
> > Overall responsiveness feels good, but software doing file-locking
> or
> > stuff like opening a new ssh connection take extremely long.
> >
> > So, if anyone has an idea or hint, it will be highly appreciated.

Hi Kevan,

> NFS has known problems with flock.  man flock(2) specifically notes
> this. Which file locking mechanism (flock or fcntl) does your
> system use predominantly (that is, how do the applications that
> uses NFS lock their files)?

 Now, amd uses fcntl to do the locking of /etc/mtab. But I do not
believe that the locking problem is restricted to NFS. To me it looks
like all kind of files are affected.

> NFS v4 has some major strides towards better locking, but it's been
> long enough since I dealt with this that I'm not sure if it actually
> solves anything (although it looks like it does).
> You might want to try NFS v4 if possible.

 Due to the environment (a very high number of potential NFS servers,
all running NFSv3) V4 is not an option. And, as I said, the locking
problems occur on local files. NFS is only related to the high-load
condition that seems to accompany the locking problems.

Cheers
Martin