[CentOS] CentOS guest for VMware, any similar setup?

Aleksandar Milivojevic alex at milivojevic.org
Tue Oct 17 02:02:55 UTC 2006

fredex wrote:
> But I don't know what this "clock problem" is that's mentioned here.
> Can someone enlighten me, and perhaps even describe what one does to
> cure it?

When running 2.6 kernels in the guests, clock either runs way too slow
or gains time very fast.  The problem exists for almost all Linux
distributions that use 2.6 kernels.  Ntpd won't save you since system
clock in the guest is way too unstable for it to work.  There's couple
of workarounds, the most common is to use clock=pit on kernel boot line
and to use vmware-tools to synchronize guest's clock with the host clock
(the host's clock can be synced using ntpd to outside source).