[CentOS] CentOS guest for VMware, any similar setup?

Tue Oct 17 10:44:22 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-10-16 at 21:02 -0500, Aleksandar Milivojevic wrote:
> fredex wrote:
> > But I don't know what this "clock problem" is that's mentioned here.
> > Can someone enlighten me, and perhaps even describe what one does to
> > cure it?
>
> When running 2.6 kernels in the guests, clock either runs way too slow
> or gains time very fast.  The problem exists for almost all Linux
> distributions that use 2.6 kernels.  Ntpd won't save you since system
> clock in the guest is way too unstable for it to work.  There's couple
> of workarounds, the most common is to use clock=pit on kernel boot line
> and to use vmware-tools to synchronize guest's clock with the host clock
> (the host's clock can be synced using ntpd to outside source).

I may just be lucky, but as long as I am able to install vmware-tools,
my clock has been fairly stable on vmware server version 1.0.1
build-29996.

That is using an i386 host (on x86_64 machines) ... then installing
either i386 or x86_64 clients.

If I can't install vware-tools on the client and set the client to sync
time from the host, the clock is pretty much shot, even with clock=pit.
At least that is my experience.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes