[CentOS] CentOS 3.8 Kernel Update with NVIDIA Video Card

Ben Mohilef benm at dsl-only.net
Sat Oct 21 18:44:29 UTC 2006

> On Oct 20, 2006, at 22:22, Corwin Burgess wrote:
>
> > I can think of two ways to solve this problem but I'd rather have
> > some expert advice. What's the best way to boot with the new
> > kernel, install the nvidia driver and of course update the NVIDIA
> > kernel module?
>
> The following worked for me:
>
>    1. Download the latest driver packager from NVIDIA (e.g., NVIDIA-
> Linux-x86-1.0-8774-pkg1.run)

============

I wouldn't.

The following is extracted from "NVIDIA Binary Graphics Driver for Linux
Buffer Overflow Vulnerability", Secunia Security Advisories:

> http://secunia.com/advisories/22419/
>
> CRITICAL:
> Highly critical
>
> IMPACT:
> Privilege escalation, DoS, System access
>
> WHERE:
> >From remote
>
> SOFTWARE:
> NVIDIA Graphics Drivers for Linux 1.x

> Successful exploitation allows execution of arbitrary code with
> "root" privileges.
>
> The vulnerability is reported in versions 8774 and 8762. Other
> versions may also be affected.
> SOLUTION:
> Disable accelerated rendering ("RenderAccel" option).
>
> Use another graphics driver.
>
> The vulnerability has reportedly been fixed in the 1.0-9625 beta
> driver.

The beta seems to have worked  for the Secunia guys.
The nv driver should work but without 3D support.
NVidia is aware of the problem and should release a fixed "production"
driver soon.

regards,

benm