[CentOS] CentOS 3.8 Kernel Update with NVIDIA Video Card

Alfred von Campe alfred at 110.net
Sat Oct 21 02:43:03 UTC 2006

On Oct 20, 2006, at 22:22, Corwin Burgess wrote:

> I can think of two ways to solve this problem but I'd rather have
> some expert advice. What's the best way to boot with the new
> kernel, install the nvidia driver and of course update the NVIDIA
> kernel module?

The following worked for me:

   1. Download the latest driver packager from NVIDIA (e.g., NVIDIA-
Linux-x86-1.0-8774-pkg1.run)
   2. Boot the new kernel to run level 3 (or wait for it to fail to
go to run level 5)
   3. Log in as root and run ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-8774-pkg1.run and
answer the prompts

Oh yeah, you will most likely need to have the kernel-devel RPM
installed so that it can rebuild the kernel module for CentOS.

Alfred