[CentOS] CentOS 4.3 on Intel Xeon Core 2 Duo

Joshua Baker-LePain jlb17 at duke.edu
Tue Oct 31 14:36:39 UTC 2006

On Tue, 31 Oct 2006 at 3:12pm, Marc Saric wrote

> I am planning to buy a new server -because the new Core2 Duo based Xeons
> (5100 series) are considerably faster in some scenarios than Opteron machines
> while not beeing more expensive, I would like to hear some real-world
> experiences from people who have installed CentOS 4.3 or 4.4 on such a setup.
>
> Specifically:
>
> CPU:   2x Intel Xeon 5100 2GHz
> Board: Intel S5000 chipset
> RAID5: 3ware 9550SXU-4LP
>
> I have some experience with the 3ware Adapter (new kernel module needed on
> install) but now nothing about compatibility, extra drivers or other problems
> related to the relatively new Xeon/S5000 platform and CentOS 4.3/RHEL 4.3.

I've got a testbox with a Supermicro X7DVL motherboard and dual Xeon
5140s.  The onboard network was *not* supported in CentOS 4.3, but is as
of 4.4.  Also, the 3w-9xxx received a significant upgrade in the 4.4
kernel vs. the one from 4.3.  So, you *really* want to go with 4.4 on that
hardware over 4.3.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering