[CentOS] Restarting mouse services

William L. Maltby CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com
Thu Sep 7 23:09:23 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-09-07 at 18:56 -0400, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> William L. Maltby wrote:

> > Wouldn't be there. These are device drivers. *If* they're loadable
> > modules (I think they are), they can be inserted by the initrd process
> > or may be mandated in the /etc/modprobe.conf file.
> >
> > If you do "lsmod" you'll see them *if* they are modules.
> Yep, there they are.
> > There's also a
> > command that I like "modinfo". Gives basic info. There's some params,
> > IIRC. "Man modinfo" 'cause I'll be darned if I remember them! :-(
> >
> But nothing to restart.  I can remove and install the modules with
> modprobe, but not restart.

*If* something, such as a mouse driver depended on them, normally a
modprobe.conf (is USB special? Does it need definition in modprobe.conf?
Yes, see below) might exist that showed that relationship. So, after you
removed the usb drivers, if you did a restart on the mouse or kb or
whatever, it would cause the modules to be reloaded via modprobe.conf
entries. I don't use mouse/keyboard there, but mine has this.

alias usb-controller ehci-hcd
alias usb-controller1 uhci-hcd

So if i did a mount, e.g. of my usb drive, that should cause the usb
modules to be automatically loaded.

So, restart your mouse on the test machine and if your fortunate, the
modprobe will occur, based on the node's "memory" that your mouse is
usb, to load those modules.

> I suppose I can do the remove and install to act as a remove?  And then
> which one?  Are they interdepent or what?

I'm not that familiar. IIRC, if one depended on the other, that would be
in modprobe. But that could be elsewhere now? It's been a  long time.
Maybe they are independent. Like maybe one's a block driver and the
other a character or something? I have never even read up on them.

> >> <snip>
> >>

> > Test on one of your non-critical machines? rmmod <the name of a module>
> > and it will either remove it or tell you something is using it, IIRC.
> > That might give you enough boost on the old learning curve to address
> > the current problem without resorting to Windows SOP.
> ><snip sig stuff>

HTH
--
Bill