[CentOS] Restarting mouse services

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Fri Sep 8 00:53:54 UTC 2006

William L. Maltby wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-09-07 at 18:56 -0400, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>
>> William L. Maltby wrote:

>>> Wouldn't be there. These are device drivers. *If* they're loadable
>>> modules (I think they are), they can be inserted by the initrd process
>>> or may be mandated in the /etc/modprobe.conf file.
>>>
>>> If you do "lsmod" you'll see them *if* they are modules.
>>>
>> Yep, there they are.
>>
>>> There's also a
>>> command that I like "modinfo". Gives basic info. There's some params,
>>> IIRC. "Man modinfo" 'cause I'll be darned if I remember them! :-(
>>>

>> But nothing to restart.  I can remove and install the modules with
>> modprobe, but not restart.
>>

> *If* something, such as a mouse driver depended on them, normally a
> modprobe.conf (is USB special? Does it need definition in modprobe.conf?
> Yes, see below) might exist that showed that relationship. So, after you
> removed the usb drivers, if you did a restart on the mouse or kb or
> whatever, it would cause the modules to be reloaded via modprobe.conf
> entries. I don't use mouse/keyboard there, but mine has this.
>
> alias usb-controller ehci-hcd
> alias usb-controller1 uhci-hcd
>
> So if i did a mount, e.g. of my usb drive, that should cause the usb
> modules to be automatically loaded.
>
> So, restart your mouse on the test machine and if your fortunate, the
> modprobe will occur, based on the node's "memory" that your mouse is
> usb, to load those modules.

Well I did a

modprobe -rv ehci-hcd
modprobe -rv ohci-hcd

The USB keyboard stopped working after I removed ohci-hcd.

I unplugged and replugged the USB M/K adapter and nothing happene.  No
mouse, no keyboard (of course notebook mouse/pointer continued to
work).  Then I did a:

modprobe -v ohci-hcd

And the usb keyboard started up,  but not the mouse.

gpm restart did nothing.

Well, it is time to move my notebook.  Next local only has a usb mouse,
no kvm, no external keyboard...