[CentOS] NPTL problem on Centos 4.4

fredex fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Fri Sep 8 10:45:37 UTC 2006

On Fri, Sep 08, 2006 at 01:13:18PM +0800, John Summerfield wrote:
> Aleksandar Milivojevic wrote:
> >fredex wrote:
> >
> >>I haven't contacted RH yet because my RHEL4 box is currently down due
> >>to a hardware problem, and I know they won't talk to me if I say I can
> >>reproduce it on a Centos box! :)
> >

> >Stupid question, but is the box in question an i586 by any chance? There
> >used to be issues with NPTL and i586 long time ago in FC2, which were
> >mostly fixed in FC3.  The fix for RHEL4 was simply not to support i586
> >architecture (CentOS project re-added it).
> >
> >So if it is an old i586 box, Red Hat ain't gonna talk to you since RHEL4
> >is not supposed to run on an i586.
>
> I'm sceptical, Fred says it happens on RHEL (but his RHEL box is down)
> and Centos 4. He might be running a sort of living museum, I suppose,
> but he also indicated he can talk to RH about it (when his RHEL box is
> back up), so I guess it's not a Pentium.
>
> Nice trivia tho:-)
>
> I decided to chime in again to note that the only systems Fred says it
> fails on are running 2.6 kernels.
>
> It might be worth booting an older 2.6 kernel to see whether that works
> around the problem.

Nope, it's a P4. We have lots of customers running it on RHEL3. Apparently
the people who actually build the machines for shipment have just started
using RHEL4. One that is already in the field was built with the original
shipped CDs, which is not even at U1 level, and it works apparently fine.
A new one they've just built, that isn't shipped out yet, used the U6
CDROMs, and it fails. Since it's across the country from me (the programmer)
it's easier for me to debug locally, and since what I happen to have
available that is at the same update level is Centos 4.4 I am working
on that platform. It may be necessary to delay until I can get the RHEL4
box working again, simply so I can talk to Red Hat about it.