[CentOS] Problem installing Centos on laptop

William L. Maltby CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com
Mon Sep 25 16:04:56 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-09-25 at 15:36 +0100, Will McDonald wrote:
> On 25/09/06, Mace Eliason <meliason at shaw.ca> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have been trying to install Centos 4.4 on my laptop with no success.
<snip>

> Will it boot single user mode? At the grub prompt hit a key, hit 'e'
> to go into edit on the kernel line and append 'single'.
>
> Try the non-SMP kernel if it's defaulted to SMP. Try various boot
> options, noapic seems to help a few people, see if any of them give
> you any joy...
>
> http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-4-Manual/x8664-multi-install-guide/ap-bootopts.html
>
> Will.

I would also suggest that you take a look at acpi=off. Some folks have
reported problems if this is not used. It's not listed in the doc that
Will refs, but it can be found here (if you have access) - should be one
line, but it wrapped.

file:///usr/share/doc/kernel-doc-2.6.9/Documentation/kernel-
parameters.txt

--
Bill