[CentOS] Missing samba binaries

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Mon Apr 2 05:33:40 UTC 2007

Mark Hull-Richter wrote:
> On 4/1/07, *John R Pierce* <pierce at hogranch.com
> <mailto:pierce at hogranch.com>> wrote:
>

>     yum install samba samba-swat
>

> Yeah, I figured that out (finally!).  It still doesn't work right, but
> I'll get there.
>
> Okay, I can't just drop a teaser like that.
>
> I have my machine configured to run VMWare Server with a NAT ethernet
> connection, and with samba running,  I can see the host with "printers
> and faxes" and "scheduled tasks," but no drives.  The whole point of
> this is to get access to my host drives from my Windows on VMWare
> guest.  Here's my smb.conf:

have you configured smbpasswd's for your windows users?   I  don't see a
security method there, I'll assume the default is USER, which
corresponds to how Windows NT/2K/XP work.  Also, both of your shares,
[homes] and [tmp] are browseable=no which means they won't show up in
browser queries.

I recommend walking through the 'getting started' documentation on the
Samba site.