[CentOS] Looking for a good disk exerciser

Rubin rubin at xs4all.nl
Fri Apr 13 09:15:13 UTC 2007

Hi,

To exercise the disk you could use a tool like iozone3. It's intended to
give you a broad overview of io/disk performance. Obviously you could use
badblocks to read/write every sector of the disk which will exercise it
quite well, however with both tools I would advise to make sure you have a
backup of stuff first.

Also, iozone is not intended to do anything related to disk errors or
other io failures; it might just uncover when/how and error occurs
coincedentally. With badblocks, it might show io errors at a certain part
of the disk.

I've had SMART errors on disks that would still work for about a year
after the first warning came up, however it is usually not a good sign for
long term operation of the device(tm).

Grtz,

Rubin.